According to scientists we are surrounded by almost a thousand contaminants. You might be wondering how and where we absorb all these harmful toxins, and the fact is they are everywhere and are absorbed through things that we eat, touch and breathe.
EXAMPLES OF TOXINS
a) Polluted air that we breathe. Including smoke, aerosols and fumes
b) Food and beverages. Junk, processed, canned foods, caffeinated drinks, cancer causing foods (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, heterocyclic amines), nitrosamines found in processed foods (sausages, cured meat), food additives, fatty foods, recycled fats and oils.
c) Objects and the environment that our skin comes in contact with dirty linens, cosmetic products etc…
d) Our metabolisms. When carbs, proteins or fats are being burned, it releases by-products and residues that if left not eliminated, can be toxic to our body.
e) Poor diet leading to digestive issues. This happens quite frequently for the majority of us, due to our poor and unbalanced diets consisting of high carb and fatty foods. Our digestive system eventually overloads and experiences high blood sugar and insulin levels leading to inflammation.
A CLEANSE IS GOOD FOR YOU IF YOU:
- Find yourself addicted to caffeine, sugar and processed food
- Have a few stubborn kilos to lose
- Are bloated or puffy after eating
- Wish to take control of your life and your diet
- Let your energy rocket and your mind feel clearer
- Wish to heal digestive issues
- Help combat candida
- Want to stop suffering from reoccurring colds and chest infections
- Need a way to get your skin glowing
- Want to nourish and hydrate your body and feel amazing
JUICE CLEANSE GOALS
Following a detox or cleanse program is the quickest, safest and the most effective way to detoxify the body. At Pulpy fusion, our nutritional juice cleanse programs are designed to replace your daily meals with five juices and one nut milk to achieve 3 main goals:
- To give your digestive system a break.
This is achieved by changing your diet to easily digestible food, mainly in liquid form. Consumption of grains, protein and fat are reduced, while fruits and vegetables intakes are increased. Juices contain almost immediately accessible fuel for your body. A Pulpy fusion cleanse will still nourish your body but in the form of fresh cold-pressed juices. We believe the key to cleansing is giving your digestive system and the associated organs, such as the intestines, liver and kidneys, a break from the tireless work they do on a daily basis. In turn, the body is able to concentrate on the important work of repairing, reenergizing and rebuilding itself.
- To support and flood your body with rich nutrients and enzymes.
Our juice cleanse programs are designed to flood your body with healthy nutrients and live enzymes from raw fruits and vegetables that help your body detox and accelerate its restorative processes. The cleanse program will provide you with all of the nutrients your body needs in a delicious, convenient way.
- Kick-start healthy eating habits leading to a better lifestyle.
By going through our juice cleanse programs and experiencing its rejuvenating effects, we hope that our customers will experience new found fondness and desire for healthy food choices and healthy living. It has been noticed that during a juice cleanse people do not crave refined sugar and processed food anymore. Our desire is not only to help change how your body feels with our juice cleanse programs in the short term, but to help you continue this new found healthy experience in the long run. At Pulpy fusion, we understand that there are no shortcuts and ultimately a healthy life comes from a sustained healthy lifestyle.
NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF CLEANSING
Results from undergoing a juice cleanse will vary according to each individual, but some of the most common benefits experienced include:
- Increased energy and stamina
- Feeling light and rejuvenated
- Increased mental clarity and focus
- Better sleep patterns
- Radiant complexion, stronger hair and nails
- Improved mood and more positive outlooks on life
- Improved digestion
- Decreased cravings for junk food and sugar
- Improved blood circulation and blood pressure
- Weight loss
JUICE CLEANSE TIPS
PRE-CLEANSE: WHAT CAN I DO TO PREPARE MYSELF?
To take full advantage of your juice cleanse it is good to prepare and ease yourself into the whole process gently. Here are some things to think about:
- Plan ahead and clear your schedule: find a sensible slot in your diary to do the juice cleanse. Ideally free from social engagements so you are not tempted by food and alcohol. You need a quiet weekend when you can just focus on yourself
- Find a buddy: it is easier to do a cleanse with a like-minded friend to share notes and keep each other
- Eat clean and lean: for at least 3 days before your cleanse shift your diet towards high levels of fruit, vegetables and salad. It would be ideal to eat vegetarian, vegan or raw in the days before the program. At the very least:
- Alcohol: keep to an absolute minimum in the week before the cleanse
- Tea and Coffee: start to cut down the amount of tea and coffee that you drink to avoid headaches whilst on the cleanse. Switch to fruit or herbal teas instead
- Sugars and sweeteners: minimize your intake of sugary foods in all forms: cakes, biscuits, fizzy drinks, sweets.
- Processed foods: cut down on anything that comes in a packet or a box, instead eat whole unprocessed foods – so plenty of vegetables and fruit with lean protein such as fish, chicken or beans.
- White starchy foods: steer away from foods like white bread, rice or pasta.
- Nicotine – obviously not!
- Remove temptations: make sure that your kitchen cupboards do not have any tempting treats. It will be hard to resist if you leave them there.
- Steamed vegetables
- Smoothies (try and add green vegetables like spinach or kale to your smoothies)
- Fresh Juices
- Gluten free grains like quinoa, millet and amaranth
DURING YOUR CLEANSE: SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT WHILE YOU ARE ON YOUR CLEANSE
- Support: tell your friends and family that you are doing a juice cleanse and ask for their support during this time. They might think that you are a little crazy but they also might be inspired.
- Sip slowly: it can be better to sip your juices slowly through the day rather than drinking them quickly in one go. This can help keep hunger away
- Water, water, water!: start the day with a large glass of warm water with half a fresh lemon squeezed into it. Remember to drink plenty of water along with your juices throughout the day (1.5 to 2 litres of filtered water in addition to your juices).
- Pampering: use this time to pamper and indulge yourself. Soak in a nice long bath (Epsom salt baths can help with detoxification), burn relaxing essential oils, book yourself in for a massage or a facial.
- Deep breathing: our lungs are a major organ of elimination so deep breathing enables toxins and carbon dioxide to be released and helps to pump the lymphatic system.
- Sauna: if you have access to one, using a sauna whilst on your cleanse is a great way to speed up detoxification. We recommend short bursts in the sauna followed by a cold shower.
- Dry skin brushing: improves the appearance of your skin and stimulates the lymphatic system, which helps with toxin removal. Take a natural bristle brush and work from your extremities in gentle strokes towards your heart.
- Beauty sleep: you may feel a little bit more tired than usual. Plan to go to bed an hour earlier than normal to give your body that much-needed rest.
- Colon health: it is important to keep your bowel movements regular throughout this cleanse as this is a key way that the body removes waste. If you are feeling a bit blocked up then try psyllium husks to get things moving. Start by mixing one teaspoon of psyllium husks into a large glass of water and drink, follow with another large glass of water – gradually build up to one tablespoon if needed.
- Hungry? some people can feel hungry, particularly during the first day. Keep yourself busy and away from temptation. If you feel like you just can’t survive without something to eat then try munching on the following: a few apple slices, chunks of cold cucumber, or a few sticks of raw celery, carrot or avocado. A clear vegetable broth can also be quite comforting.
HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FEEL?
It is common to feel a bit hungry, although this tends to diminish quite quickly. Some people can feel tired or experience difficulty concentrating which is why it is often better to base your cleanse around a weekend when you are not working.
Headaches are also quite common and are often the result of caffeine withdrawal. They can be minimized if you follow the guidelines on how to prepare for your cleanse.
Without wanting to put you off other symptoms can sometimes occur: skin breakouts, bad breath, body odor, coated tongue, diarrhea, feeling light headed. Don’t, worry, these are all good signs that your body is detoxifying and removing toxins – these symptoms will pass.
WHAT ABOUT EXERCISE?
It is not recommended to do any strenuous exercise whilst on your cleanse. However, movement is good as it stimulates blood circulation and the lymphatic system, which can help eliminate toxins. Brisk walking is recommended, as is swimming and yoga. Listen to your body and if you feel dizzy or lightheaded, then stop.
POST-CLEANSE: HOW TO MAXIMIZE THE BENEFITS OF YOUR CLEANSE
The first thing to say is well done for getting this far! As much as you might be tempted to eat the contents of your fridge or go out for a big meal, you might benefit from easing yourself gently into your normal routine.
You can extend the benefits of the cleanse by keeping your diet clean and light for the few days after the fast:
Breakfast: make yourself a fresh fruit salad
Lunch: eat a large crispy salad with at least 5 different types of vegetables and a simple squeeze of lemon juice. Think about adding in some fermented foods or sprouted seeds.
Dinner: try a homemade vegetable or miso soup or some lightly steamed vegetables
Try this type of light diet for 2-3 days ensuring that you steer clear of sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine and alcohol.
On day 3 add to these light meals by including some soaked nuts and seeds, gluten free grains such as brown rice, quinoa, amaranth or millet. Include some good oils such as coconut, avocado, olive oil, hemp or flax oil.
On day 4: start to introduce some clean and light animal proteins such as steamed fish, chicken or egg (ideally organic)
On day 5: re introduce dairy and meat if you feel ready to do this. However, consider non dairy alternatives such as oat, nut, coconut, and hemp milks